Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#929 closed defect/bug (fixed)

Remove "(null)" entries in housenumber search list

Reported by: korrosa Owned by: KaZeR
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: gui/internal Version: git master
Severity: Keywords:
Cc: https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/user:tryagain

Description

See attached screenshots - I'm trying to find 25 Abbotsford Road. I enter the details as follows:

Town: Bristol
Street: Abbotsford Road
Housenumber: 25

I get the list of entries shown in the second screenshot. This is a mild example - some searches produce multiple pages of "(null)" results, and you find that the house you want is three or four pages into the search list, which is quite annoying...

Attachments (5)

Screenshot-Navit-3.png (70.0 KB) - added by korrosa 8 years ago.
Screenshot-Navit-4.png (24.8 KB) - added by korrosa 8 years ago.
svndiff.diff (6.0 KB) - added by korrosa 8 years ago.
null_housenumber.diff (602 bytes) - added by tryagain 8 years ago.
Should solve the problem. Also has side effect: as new entries (not only house numbers) are found they are added to the top of the list. I feel this behaviour disputable. It makes some feedback of what navit is doing now. Please note that, items found come in no special order so I didn't break that order.
null_housenumber2.diff (2.8 KB) - added by tryagain 8 years ago.
Improved version.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

Changed 8 years ago by korrosa

Changed 8 years ago by korrosa

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by korrosa

Additional info:

svn: r4733
os: Ubuntu
device: netbook

I also attach a diff showing differences between svn trunk and my local version - it may be that this just happens for my local version, as it has been patched and updated many times...

Changed 8 years ago by korrosa

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by tryagain

It took me quite a time to understand that the patch added is not to fix the problem described :)

Well, I have these (null) results too. Each result with (null) is a housenumber object which has no direct connection to any street (there's an OSM addr:housenumber attribute on it but no addr:street one). So we really don't know what street it belongs to. Any clues like "find nearest street" will give wrong results on some places because houses do not always belong to their nearest street.

I think it's better to give more results to user to let him a chance to find what he's looking for, even if house he's looking for is not tagged with addr:streetname.

I can replace these (null)s with empty strings or some meaningful text.

Also there can be third button in the interface to search "housenumbers not tagged with streets". But I'm afraid it will make interface too complex.

Any other ideas what fix do you like for that?

Last edited 8 years ago by tryagain (previous) (diff)

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by korrosa

Apologies for making the diff look like a, well, diff!!

My main problem is that all the (null)s appear BEFORE any housenumbers with valid street names. If you can shove the (null)s to the end of the list, then I probably wouldn't care so much - at the moment, my own housenumber is hidden on page 3 of the search, which is less than optimal!

Changed 8 years ago by tryagain

Should solve the problem. Also has side effect: as new entries (not only house numbers) are found they are added to the top of the list. I feel this behaviour disputable. It makes some feedback of what navit is doing now. Please note that, items found come in no special order so I didn't break that order.

Changed 8 years ago by tryagain

Improved version.

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by tryagain

With null_housenumber2.diff you'll always get the exact match at the top of search list. For example, if you search for housenumber 2 you'll not be overhelmed with housenumbers 22,24,257 and so on.

Housenumber 2 of the given street will be at the top of result list, the rest will reside below it.

As in previous revision, housenumbers without street names will be at the bottom of the list.

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by tryagain

  • Cc https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/user:tryagain added
  • Component changed from core to gui/internal
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.